Sunday 26 October 2014

Get Even by Gretchen McNeil

Get Even
Gretchen McNeil
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in Gretchen McNeil’s witty and suspenseful novel about four disparate girls who join forces to take revenge on high school bullies and create dangerous enemies for themselves in the process.

Bree, Olivia, Kitty, and Margot have nothing in common—at least that’s what they’d like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They’re all members of Don’t Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school’s bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.

When their latest target ends up dead with a blood-soaked “DGM” card in his hands, the girls realize that they’re not as anonymous as they thought—and that someone now wants revenge on them. Soon the clues are piling up, the police are closing in . . . and everyone has something to lose.



This book screams "Murder and excitement."
Which is what I got. I thought it was a bit too similar to Sara Shepards "the perfectionists" and Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivians "burn for burn." 
But it was perfect too. The theme of "Don't trust Anybody" echoed through the whole book. It was exciting and thrilling and I can't wait for Get Dirty. 
The characters were mostly good. I loved Bree the most, and Olivia was a favourite too. Kitty was okay, and I didn't like Margot at all. Ed the head seems a bit sketchy but in a really interesting way. I knew from the start there was going to be a John-Bree relationship, but I didn't know that I would ship it so much. The Kitty-Olivia-Donté love triangle was a bit tiring, and I felt pretty bad for Olivia but at times she was ridiculous. Amber was plain awful and I hope to never encounter a human being like that. The whole theme of the book was captivating and mysterious. I had an inkling that I was going to get the same ending as in The Perfectionists, but I didn't mind, because I enjoyed reading it. There were not ever boring slow parts, and I never felt compelled to put the book down. The idea of DGM was pretty awesome sounding. It was fun and exciting. I was actually never spoiled for this book, so I was happy about that. But I have to say.. The body count is pretty high and I don't think this book is for the faint-hearted. But I think pll fans will enjoy this.


The spoiler sessions
MAJOR SPOILERS

I was horrified by Coach Creeves death, only when I read it in the book it was referred to as "his murder" and I thought he had killed someone XD 
I was really interested in the Christopher stuff- particularly waiting to find out what Bree had done to him. I think he is the murder for sure. 
My theories of who is Christopher:
Rex- he's an obvious choice in my opinion. He didn't go to middle school with Christopher or Bree and I think it could easily be him.
Ed the Head- I strongly suspect him...
Logan- just because lots of signs point to him. 

They'll probably make it someone like Margot to mess with my head though. 
Sorry for the short review but my head is killing me right now. Until the next time, 

xx- Aria 

No comments:

Post a Comment